Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Mexican Surfari


I arrived back from Mexico early on a Sunday morning, the hot water of the shower at 3 AM felt very foreign after a week without, as I felt the dust of Mexico wash away. I could feel the soreness in my shoulders and back, and feel the various surfing inflicted rashes, pains and scrapes of a week of surfing 3 and 4 times a day. Playa La Saladita is is a warm water, looooong, left point break in the state of Guerrero in Mexico. I easily had the best rides of my life on that wave, long rides where I could relax and enjoy the surroundings and experience it all. If that wasn't enough, I had a chance to meet with and surf near my favorite author Allan Weisbecker who is camped out just yards from this magic spot. The group also spent a fair amount of time at a small local school volunteering and becoming more a part of the community, and hopefully showing the people of La Saladita and Los Llanos that the surfers coming to their world are more than ghosts passing through.

2 comments:

Jamie Welsh Watson said...

A happy accident, finding your blog. Stoked to read this post and see you standing next to Allen Weisbecker! Especially since the last I heard he was recovering from being very ill. Looks healthy and happy in your photo. Sounds like a super fun place you surfed! I love that rare feeling of being relaxed on a wave and being able to take in your surroundings. Aloha.

Larry said...

Jamie- thanks for the note. You might want to keep updated on Weisbecker via his Surfling Blog at http://www.surfline.com/blog/bio.cfm?id=25440

He is still surfing strong, so I think he has recovered well, though I think he could stand to gain a few pounds. It was a great place to surf, explore and just "be".

Water Time by Weisbecker...check it out!