Thursday, August 30, 2007

A week ago at this time I was in Myrtle Beach with family. This part of SC is not know for particularly good waves, but then I am accustomed to so -so waves, shore break conditions and knee high mush anyway. In fact, I have come to appreciate the value of not judging a wave unless I am in the water. Sure, when you see your favorite spot looking like pond on a still day you probably won't get any good rides, but otherwise you might be surprised what you would have missed when you just paddle out and see for yourself. I enjoyed half a dozen really fun sessions over three days on imperfect, knee to waist range waves. I did not get the thrill catching a big, fast wave or have the chance for a nice swooping bottom turn, but I did get a chance to practice and push my skills in getting down the line and adjusting my planing to get the best, longest rides. Of course none of this was possible without my trusty steed. The 9'6" Will Allison Classic Longboard, complete with the seahorse (hence the steed reference) logo. This is a beautiful board. Its beauty is now somewhat imperfect with the several repaired dings, scratches and a few discolorations, but its beauty comes in its ride and maybe because it has so much of my soul in it now. On one of those small Myrtle Beach waves I managed to collide my elbow into its thick rounded rails. Both the rail and the elbow lost out on that... The elbow healed, but the board required my help getting fixed. Once I cleaned out its wound of loose or cracked fiberglass and foam I carefully added filler to the void, then 2 layers of cloth and more resin. A quick sanding should smooth out the rough edges and it will be seaworthy again. I may give too much credit to this inanimate object, but its soul, born in its shaper's and fed by mine and its other riders, is something very real to me.

No comments:

Water Time by Weisbecker...check it out!